Monastir Habib Bourguiba International Airport is located in the north of the city of Monastir, one of the most important cities in Tunisia, with an area of about 199.5 hectares. The airport was established in 1968. The airport is named after the former Tunisian President Habib Bourguiba, who was born in this city. The airport allows tourist access to tourist facilities in the cities of Sousse, Monastir and others.
Monastir Habib Bourguiba International Airport has a capacity of approximately 3.5 million passengers per year and the airport is mostly used for chartered flights. The Civil Aviation and Airports Bureau was the director of Habib Bourguiba airport, like the rest of Tunisia’s airports. In 2008, the Turkish group TAV Airports Holding, which established the airport, took control of the airport for 40 years.
Facilities of Monastir Habib Bourguiba International Airport
Monastir Habib Bourguiba International Airport is a prestigious entry point for all visitors to Tunisia, as well as proximity to many tourist and historical sites in Tunisia. The airport operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The policy of TAV Tunis, which operates the airport, is based on modern and innovative services for airport users. The company also operates in accordance with the principles of sustainable development, which is committed to reducing emissions of greenhouse gases by implementing responsible energy management and working with the highest energy efficiency, such as triple generation. TAV Tunisia is pursuing solar energy sources and is following up on GHG emissions by adopting the Airport Carbon Program for the International Council of Airports in Europe. Tunisia’s environmental performance will be measured with the performance of nearby airports in the Mediterranean region.
Monastir Habib Bourguiba International Airport’s Services
Monastir Habib Bourguiba International Airport offers excellent services in terms of a wide variety of shopping facilities and restaurants as well as various air freight services. The airport is easily accessible by all means of transport, ensuring an excellent starting point for your holiday in Tunisia. Airport services include:
- There are guidance offices in the departure lounge and access hall so you can easily reach them and you are greeted by competent staff who are fluent in multiple languages. They work 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Medical aid is available at the airport on the weekdays under the supervision of qualified doctors and nurses. The Ministry of Public Health has set points at the border posts as a primary means of health surveillance, avoiding any infection
- The branches of the local banks are available at Monastir Habib Bourguiba International Airport and are located at both the departure lounge and the arrival lounge. These branches offer all regular banking services for travelers and airport visitors.
- The airport has 6 restaurants and cafés run by BTA, as well as food and beverage outlets and fast food alternatives
- Daily newspapers, souvenirs and magazines are available at the Drag Store in the departure lounge. You can also purchase traditional products and handicrafts from souvenirs and gift items from gift shops located in the departure lounge.
- ATU is the fastest growing market in the world with a full range of retail outlets, and ATU is the only free market operator at Monastir Habib Bourguiba International Airport. The free market offers travelers classic products free of customs, Tunisian local products, accessories and fashion, making it a major attraction.