Muscat International Airport is located in the state of Seeb, 32 km west of Muscat, the capital of the Sultanate of Oman. The airport is being operated by Oman Airport Management Company and Oman Aviation Services Company. It is a major hub for operations of Oman Air and the main airport in Sultanate of Oman, Salalah International Airport follows in terms of size. The airport has modern facilities similar to other international airports.
History of Muscat International Airport
Muscat International Airport was officially opened in 1973. The airport witnessed major expansions in 1983 in the arrivals and departures buildings. A new waiting room with free-market shops was established, and in 1991 the current cargo terminal was completed. The British Airports Authority and Bahwan Trading Company established the Oman Airport Management Company to manage and develop Muscat International Airport and Salalah International Airport starting 2002 for 25 years as a concession agreement and part of the Airport Privatization Plan. In November 2004, the government resumed management and development of the airport. In the past, the airport was called Seeb International Airport and the name was changed to Muscat International Airport in February 2008.
Expanding Muscat International Airport
Muscat International Airport has seen an increasing number of passengers and is expected to continue in the future. The expansion of flights and fleet by Oman Air and the increasing number of airlines using the airport contributed to the growth and development of the country’s tourism industry. In response to this growth, the new plan has begun to expand and modernize the airport to increase capacity to 12 million passengers per year and a plan to increase its capacity to 36 million passengers per year in the second phase and then to 48 million passengers in the long term.
Baggage services at Muscat International Airport have been expanded with new platforms and extra space. The departure building of a parallel building with a large waiting area, departures area, bathrooms, prayer rooms, a smoking room and a larger shopping, dining and beverage space with an excellent view of the building. A new space for airline offices was also established and additional parking spaces were established. At Muscat International Airport there are other projects for improvement and expansion under construction.
Facilities and services of Muscat International Airport
Muscat International Airport is designed to facilitate access to its services and within its buildings all sections and any service desired by the traveler. The airport offers many services and facilities such as:
- Providing means of communication via telephone or free internet for travelers
- Providing many draw machines and exchange shops that work 24 hours a day
- There are places of prayer for women and men at departure places, as well as a mosque for worshipers outside the airport
- There is a 24-hour medical clinic at Muscat International Airport to provide assistance at any time. The clinic provides free treatment and medicines, as well as an ambulance
- Providing numerous lounges with facilities at the airport where the traveler can take a break and provide places to smoke and to wrap the luggage
- Assistants are available at the airport to provide comfort and ease the suffering of the traveler at no cost
- Providing services to business and travelers in the first class, such as the use of high-speed Internet and the provision of rooms dedicated to them with exceptional services