Tunis-Carthage International Airport is located 8 km north-east of Tunis, the capital of the Republic of Tunisia. The airport is named after Carthage, the historic cultural capital of Tunisia. Tunisian Airlines, New Tunis, Tunis Airways and Seafax Airlines are placing their headquarters and operations center in the Tunis-Carthage International Airport.
Tunis-Carthage International Airport serves the city of Tunis and its neighboring cities. The airport hosts more than 4.6 million passengers a year and is operated by the Civil Aviation and Airports Bureau. Tunisia Air Handling provides ground services, which is another company that follows the Tunisian airline.
The runway at Tunis-Carthage International Airport was recently inaugurated after it was configured with 30 months of work, thus receiving all flights to the airport terminals as part of the improvement of air transport and the number of flights at the Airport. The runway extends 2840 meters, And its width after the expansion of 45 meters, the re-exploitation will help to raise the capacity of the airport to accommodate the aircraft, especially large sizes, with international specifications.
Services at Carthage International Airport
- Financial Services: ATMs and currency exchange kiosks are available in the arrivals and departures areas of Tunis-Carthage International Airport.
- Communications: The airport has public telephones and mobile phone rental service in the arrivals and departures halls. There is also a post office as well as wireless internet access in some restaurants.
- Shopping: Free market outlets are available in arrivals and departures halls, as well as local and luxury goods stores.
- Food: There are many restaurants and cafés serving snacks with local and international cuisine at the airport.
- Information and support desks: Two tourist information desks are available in the main hall of Terminal 1 and Terminal 2, which is open only for incoming flights.
- Luggage: A counter is located near the public information desk and is for lost luggage found, luggage trolleys are also available.
- Parking: Tunis-Carthage International Airport has a parking area of 2,500 cars and is just outside the main building and there is additional space outside Airport Terminal 2 for 500 cars.
- Conference and business services: A VIP lounge is available at the departure lounge and there are meeting rooms at the nearby Grand Tunis Hotel.
- Disabled Services: Elevators, stairs and private toilets are available at the airport to assist disabled travelers, as well as wheelchairs at airlines’ counters, but travelers must inform the airline prior to departure.
- Other facilities include a barber shop, a travel agency and a tourist office. First aid and transport buses connect the airport buildings and leave every 10 minutes.
Development of the Tunis-Carthage International Airport
A development program was put in place for Tunis-Carthage International Airport aiming to improve the quality of airport services, which was based on the axes of: reducing the waiting time of travelers through the exploitation of all the windows that are registering, maintaining and preparing the internal and external space of the airport and eliminating the phenomenon of smoking .
The airport adopts many new technologies. The modern technology, which works through fingerprints to identify immediately and automatically the people leaving and arriving in their original identities, is the first technology of its kind in Tunisia, which is focused on and is applied to implement high Tunisian security capabilities.